Howard County has received more NACo awards than any other county in Maryland, a testament to the innovative spirit of the county’s workforce. Winning entries include:
Howard County Health Department:
- “Why I Got Vaxxed” Campaign: Outreach campaign to reach young residents and members of the black community to promote vaccinations among low-participation groups.
- Law Enforcement Assisted Diversion (LEAD): Enable law enforcement to engage outreach-based case management services.
Leisure and parks:
- 55+ Bocce Ball League: Creating a new league on state-of-the-art courts to give our active aging community the opportunity to play healthy, outdoor competitions.
- Outdoor Preschool Programs: Unique program to safely serve preschool students during the pandemic.
- Outdoor Dedication Day: Innovative program engaging our deaf and hard of hearing community.
- Park Ranger Training: Revitalized program for newly hired personnel, covering de-escalation training, self-defense, community service and more.
- Reindeer Games: Holiday-themed program serving the community, focusing on accessibility and affordability.
Howard County Fire and Rescue Services Department:
- Carcinogen Reduction Program: Overall effort to reduce exposure to carcinogens during and after work to create a healthier work environment.
Department of Technology and Communication Services:
- Collaborating to Strengthen the Infrastructure Needed to Support the Hybrid Learning Model: Doubling Broadband Capabilities in Schools to Promote Online and Distance Learning Amid the Pandemic.
- IT innovation at the new courthouse: improved communications in the new building.
- IT in Vaccine Phone Bank: Innovative use of resources to establish a resource center for vaccine information.
- Holiday Lights map-based app: new, user-friendly resource to provide a roadmap for holiday cheer in our community.
- Transform Howard Broadband Initiative: expanding digital inclusion and bridging the digital divide to reach underserved households.
- Transform Howard Innovation Grants: Enables nonprofit service providers to implement creative ideas to serve the community.
Department of Inspections, Licensing and Permits:
- Automated Fire Permits Online: Embracing Technology to Better Serve the Community in the Permitting Process.
Community Sustainability Office:
- EV Infrastructure and Fleet Greening: Transition to an all-electric county fleet to reduce greenhouse gases.
- Innovative Solar Power Expansion: Largest Power Purchase Agreement in the State of Maryland.
- LED streetlight conversion program: conversion to energy efficient bulbs.
- Plastic Reduction and Environmental Protection: Plastic Prevalence Reduction Program
- Removing Barriers to Solar Energy: Helping Conversions to a Renewable Energy Source
- Roving Radis Marketplace: Increasing access to locally sourced healthy foods at reasonable prices.
- Howard County and Non-Profit Environmental Equity Partnership: Addressing Climate Change Through Partnerships.
Department of Corrections:
- Pre-Trial Monitoring Program: Creating labor and resource cost savings through effective monitoring without incarceration and reducing court appearance violations.
Department of Public Works:
- PM Tool: Development of a complete digital project management platform for public works projects.
- Retro-Commissioning: Reduction of energy consumption by renovating the mechanical systems of existing buildings.
- Glenwood Library Renovation: Innovative renovation of heavily used facilities at a reduced cost.
Planning and Zoning Department:
- National Park Road Mile Marker 14 Improvement Project: A Roadside Place for Cyclists, Visitors and Howard County Residents
- Grants for the restoration of historic cemeteries: grant program for the preservation of historic cemeteries on private property
Department of Social Services:
- Partnering with CASA for Housing Support After Emancipation: Resources for Young Adults Coming Out of the Foster Care System
Office of Human Resources:
- Howard County Government Joint Apprenticeship Program: Addressing Recruitment Challenges, Improving Workforce Diversity, and Enhancing Career Development Opportunities in the Trades.
- Howard County Government Mental Health Program: Increased mental health support for county staff.
Office of Human Rights and Equity:
- Howard County MLK Holiday Commission Pop Up Pantry: Addressing Food Insecurity in conjunction with the Maryland Food Bank.
- Read Human Rights: monthly book discussion program to address various issues and promote inclusion.
Office of Emergency Management:
- Howard County Family Assistance Center Plan and Platform: Responding to our community’s needs during mass casualty incidents.
- Howard County On-Call Emergency Manager and Emergency Operations Center Manager Training Program: Creating Strong Succession Planning Among Emergency Personnel
Howard County Police Department:
- HCPD Permit System: Created a new special event permit system that provides a publicly accessible online permit portal, multiple fee payment options, and reduces the complexity of the permit process.
- Howard County Active Transportation Open House: Improving Participation and Awareness Through Online Programs and Increased Access
- HCG/HCPSS Free Student Bus Pass Program: Serving the community and reducing environmental impact during the pandemic.
Department of Community Resources and Services:
- Meals to Go: COVID Response and Future Opportunities to Modernize Senior Citizens Act Nutrition Programs
- Healthy Food Access Program: Responding to community needs and promoting health and well-being.
- Howard County Virtual 50+ Center: Innovative program to serve the community during the pandemic.
- Process/Engagement/Transparency Process for US Bailout Funding: Ensure community awareness and access to information regarding bailout programs.
Department of Housing and Community Development:
- Investing in Homeownership: Programs to Help Buy a Home and Grow Wealth.