SIBU, April 4 – Seven graves in a Chinese cemetery in Bukit Aup here have been desecrated and the remains of those buried have been removed.
Sibu United Chinese Graveyard Association President Teo Boon Siew, who confirmed the shocking discovery, said he was made aware of the incident yesterday.
“I was informed of the case by one of the family members of the deceased buried there who went to the cemetery yesterday to observe the Qing Ming festival.
“We visited the cemetery today and found seven desecrated graves and burnt coffins.
‘We believe the coffins were burned not far from the graves as there were traces of burnt items,’ he said when contacted today.
According to Teo, he was informed by family members of the affected graves that the bones of the deceased had also been taken away.
He condemned the irresponsible act for not respecting the dead.
“We don’t know who did it, but we believe the culprits only took the bones of the dead as no skeletal remains were found at the scene.
“They took the bones away and then burned the coffins in nearby bushes,” he said.
One of the coffins found burned in nearby bushes.
Teo believed the act had been committed more than two weeks ago because grass had started to grow where the coffins had been set on fire.
He said family members of the deceased filed a complaint at Sungai Merah police station. — Borneo Post