Nether Lochaber comprises a number of small villages and crofting townships on the east side of Loch Linhe on the west coast of Scotland, stretching from Ballachulish Bridge over the mouth of Loch Leven to south of Fort William .
The association is a registered charity made up of a small board of volunteer directors and members who come mostly from the area. We work to improve local facilities and services for people who live here and for those who visit. We do this by:
- the creation of new facilities and the improvement of existing facilities to support the provision of additional services;
- organize or support community social events;
- take care of our historical and natural environment.
Our recent projects have included:
- the creation of a public picnic area by Loch Linhe (our main photo above shows the opening ceremony);
- the establishment of a small orchard near the local primary school;
- commissioning a mosaic depicting the region which was designed by a local artist and then created by her and local school children –
this was placed next to National Cycle Route 78 and supported by a grant from Sustrans;
- become the owner of the local cemetery of Creag Mhor in order to be able to repair (rebuild!) its dry stone walls and ensure its long-term maintenance
Picnic area after clearing and leveling
Mosaic with Creag Mhor behind
Our volunteers also look after the care and maintenance of the
- the cross of Cuilcheanna (near the main road that crosses Onich)
- public benches, plantings and floral arrangements offered by this association
- the picnic site and cemetery mentioned above
Improved access to Cuilcheanna Cross
For the future, we are working on creating a community center for Nether Lochaber, which will be located in a converted 18th century barn in the village of Inchree (a few minutes walk from the famous waterfalls). The current plan is to include a public cafe as well as separate rooms which can be used individually or in combination for a range of services from financial aid sessions to arts and crafts activities etc.
More details about this are available on our instagram page.